Sunday, May 25, 2008

Church this Morning...

I went to church this morning.

Yep...believe it or not...but this extreme radical liberal does go to church now and then. Out here in farm country, I live in a village of less than 40 people. And across the street from where I live, is a church. My neighbor is the local preacher.

They have a large congregation, too...of over 300 people. I'll tell you...around here, the churches drag 'em in like flies to honey. I think it's like that most places around the country...but that's another story.

As I sat there in the Sunday service this morning, I watched these people. I do that a lot. I observe people. They entertain me. And these people...I'll tell you...they really amaze me. And not in a good way...

It's all about money. I've seen this at other churches around the country, but it's really jaw-dropping to see the business of religion out here in the middle of nowhere...in today's program, they had the financial statement of the church for all to see. And I couldn't believe the money spent for this business for one month out here in the middle of nowhere. At the end of the service, they made an announcement that today, they finally paid off a $150,000 debt over the last 3 months for this newly remodeled building. Actually, the preacher said that over $200,000 has been raised out here over the last 3 months. Imagine that...in a community that houses less than 40 people.

I look at the homeless...all of these natural disasters destroying lives here nationally and globally right now...you don't see churches opening their doors to the homeless, and letting them have a roof over their head at night in these empty buildings of God around the country.

Last winter, when the deadly Midwest ice storms destroyed my house out here, my Mother and I had to stay for a week in a Red Cross shelter. Believe me, I was so thankful for that. But you wouldn't the things I learned while homeless for a week. The church that opened their doors for the Red Cross, after 2 days, forced everyone to leave so their building would be cleared out for the Sunday service coming up in the next few days. And after a week, the Red Cross was forcing people to leave the shelters so they would be cleared out. I think about all the homeless people in the world, and it really angers me...this is just one tangent I'd really like to go off on.

If there is a God, I'm thankful that I'm an extreme liberal, and really out there...I am so thankful that my eyes are really open...

Open your eyes...

No comments: